July 15, 2020 - The end of the beginning.
Just over seven years ago, while sitting in a particularly mind-numbing professional learning opportunity, I allowed the droning monotone voice of the presenter to fade into the background and in the guise of taking notes, put pen to paper to scribble out some ideas for a twelve session role-playing campaign about the concept of free will, with the players being a small group of Angels who decided to sit out the ‘great war’.
It was called “Wingless”.
After an amazing run with a group of friends I found I still couldn’t put the idea down. In 2015 I found myself in the same PL ‘opportunity’, and so I started to write the game out as a story, thinking that if I was able to write out all the things I wasn't able to fit into the game I’d finally be able to put this idea away.
Then I got the chance to run the game again for two other groups, and more of the Wingless characters came to life before my eyes. I can’t express enough how grateful I am for everyone who played the game, they brought my world to life and gave me back far more than I believe they got from playing the game.
The sheer brilliance of these people however made it even harder to put the story away. On Boxing Day in 2017 I scrapped the 7000 odd words I had written and started writing again, but this time with the idea of telling the entire story, with the eventual ultimate goal of actually publishing this thing.
The past three years have been quite the journey. Bursts of fevered writing mixed with long stretches of time where all creativity left me. Bouts of imposter syndrome stronger than I have ever experienced about anything before in my life, along with starting and completing a Masters Degree (with an HD average).
A change in my work life, stepping in to the position previously held by a dear friend who unexpectedly passed away added a lot of other stress, but allowed my career to develop to the next level. It also, however, placed other road blocks in front of actually writing.
But always in the background was this story.
Today I found myself somewhat surprised that I had written the last words of the novel. There is still lots of editing still to do of course, but at just under 81,000 words, it is done. It’s silly, and even if no one else ever reads it and likes it, this is something I really feel proud in myself for sticking with.
So, I really wanted to take this moment to thank all the people who played the game, who created living, breathing characters in my world and let me play with them. You are all fantastic, and I could not have even dreamed of writing this without you.
Thank you (in order of games), Nadina, Ingrid, Sarah, Jim, Graham, Bernie, Emma, James, Callie, Katie, Samantha, Mark, Sandra and Ryan.
I owe you all a drink.
Comments
Post a Comment