28 February, 2024 - A leap day and an extra story

Yesterday I submitted "Nothing to Fear", a short story that sits between books 2 and 3 of the Wingless trilogy, for an urban fantasy anthology. My hope is that, despite it using the same characters and timeline as the main books, I've been able to write the short story so it stands on it's own without needing any knowledge of the rest of it to be enjoyed by readers.

Now I cross my fingers and wait to see if it is accepted by the publishers 🙂

Book 3 is also complete, and has been for a while, but my blogging has fallen behind. "Learning to Fly" is the story I always wanted to see play out, with Joan and Hattie working together as equals.

It took me a long time to work out how best to end this one, partly because I needed it to be worth the work I had put in with writing three books, but I think a large chunk of the angst came from the simple fact that I did not want it to end.  

Writing the last line of a story is hard. In many ways it will be how you say farewell to the characters you have spent a decent chunk of your life with. But writing the last line of a trilogy is so much harder. Especially when you know that you will be walking away from that world afterwards, not sure if you will ever return.

I hate goodbyes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

May 2, 2025 - Sometimes you write characters, sometimes the characters write you.

July 22, 2025 - Long Service Leave and Writing